Brian McPherson of Belpre, Ohio, outscored the field by one stroke in the Championship Division of the West Virginia Senior Amateur Championship, sponsored by Little General Stores and conducted by the West Virginia Golf Association (WVGA), at Sleepy Hollow Golf Club in Hurricane. McPherson scored six birdies, leading to a one under par 71. The Senior Division was tied at the top between Scott Bibbee of Vienna and Jim Carpenter of Martinsburg, both shooting one over par 73.
“Sleepy Hollow is an outstanding Championship course and we are very excited to hold our Senior Amateur here at a course with so much history in WVGA events,” said WVGA Interim Executive Director Chris Slack.
The first round of 18-hole stroke play was a qualifier to set the seeding for the remainder of the tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The 16 qualifiers in the Championship Division on Monday were:
- Brian McPherson of Belpre, Ohio, (-1) 71;
- Pat Carter of Hurricane, even par 72;
- Bryan Myers of Wheeling, even par 72;
- Todd Westfall of Bridgeport, (+2) 74;
- Glen Martin of Scott Depot, (+4) 76;
- Bob Clark of Wheeling, (+5) 77;
- Harold Payne of Hurricane, (+5) 77;
- Mike Chapman of Athens, Ohio, (+5) 77;
- Gary Arntz of Inwood, (+5) 77;
- Eric Fairbanks of Morgantown, (+5) 77;
- Chuck Workman of Marlinton, (+6) 78;
- Michael Koreski of Parkersburg, (+7) 79;
- John Ridenour of Long Bottom, Ohio, (+7) 79;
- David Loggins of Verdunville, (+9) 81;
- Mitchell Roush of Mason, (+10) 82; and
- David Bumgarner of Scott Depot, (+10) 82.
In quarterfinal match play of the Championship Division, McPherson defeated Roush 4 and 2, Chapman defeated Fairbanks 1 up, Carter defeated Ridenour 2 up, Koreski defeated Martin 3 & 1, Westfall defeated Bumgarner in 19 holes, Payne defeated Clark 1 up, Myers defeated Loggins 5 & 4 and Workman defeated Arntz 4 & 2.
The 16 qualifiers in the Senior Division on Monday were:
- Scott Bibbee of Vienna, (+1) 73;
- Jim Carpenter of Martinsburg, (+1) 73;
- Hank Middlemas of Fairmont, (+4) 76;
- Neil Christiansen of Parkersburg, (+6), 78;
- Richard Carder of Fort Ashby, (+8) 80;
- John Crowe of Ridgeley, (+9) 81;
- Joe Roy of Barboursville, (+10) 82;
- Mike Hall of Winfield, (+10) 82;
- John Bledsoe of Barboursville, (+10) 82;
- Ed Littlehales of Milton, (+10) 82;
- Douglas Taylor of Charleston, (+10) 82;
- Lee Cooperrider of Hurricane, (+10) 82;
- Joe Crislip of Parkersburg, (+11) 83;
- Randy Neville of Charleston, (+11) 83;
- Cledus Judd of Proctorville, Ohio, (+11) 83; and
- Nevin Wilson of Southside, (+11) 83.
In quarterfinal match play of the Senior Division, Bibbee defeated Wilson in 19 holes, Bledsoe defeated Roy 1 up, Middlemas defeated Hall 7 & 5, Christiansen defeated Littlehales 5 & 4, Judd defeated Crislip 3 & 2, Crowe defeated Taylor 1 up, Neville defeated Carpenter 2 & 1 and Cooperrider defeated Carder 6 & 5.
For information on the consolation rounds and complete results click here for today’s leaderboard.
The Senior Amateur Championship continues Tuesday and Wednesday.
For more information please visit wvga.org.