The 50th playing of the West Virginia Women’s Senior Amateur Championship, conducted by the West Virginia Golf Association (WVGA) and presented by PSIMED, got underway Monday at Canaan Valley Resort.
Three-time Champion Karen Kinnett of Shepherdstown fired a four over par 76 to tie with Patti Maroney of Glen Dale and Lynn Roth of Charleston for the in the Championship division.lead the field of 46 golfers.
“The WVGA always enjoys hosting state championships and events at State Park golf courses in West Virginia,” said WVGA Interim Executive Director Chris Slack. “It’s been a while since we’ve been here at Canaan, but we’re glad to be back.”
Canaan’s Sherri Harold said, “We’re glad to have the senior women back here again.”
Leaders in other divisions after the first day are:
- Championship Net: Sylke Knuppel of Shepherdstown;
- First Flight Gross: Janie Webber of Daniels;
- First Flight Net: Carolyn Outman of Hurricane;
- Second Flight Gross: Annett Thayer of Hernshaw,
- Second Flight Net: Anna Kinker of Daniels;
- Third Flight Gross: Judy Hutchins of Winfield;
- Third Flight Net: Lois Kinneer of Hurricane;
- Fourth Flight Gross: Kimberly Mann of Hernando, Fla.;
- Fourth Flight Net: Susan Thompson of South Charleston;
- Silver Gross and Net: Kathy Thompson of Summersville;
- Gold Gross: Janie Webber of Daniels; and
- Gold Net: Lenora Thomas of Fayetteville.
Other highlights of the day include three birdies for Kathy Thompson and two birdies each for Karen Kinnett, Patricia Maroney and Karen Rainey of Daniels.
The final day of competition features a shotgun start at 9:00 a.m.
Click here to see today’s full leaderboard: 2023 WV Women’s Senior Amateur.
For more information please visit wvga.org.