“The two eagles got my head in a good place within my first nine holes of play today,” Chris Daniels said.
The second qualifier for the 103rd WV Amateur Championship, presented by Astorg Motor Company and Mercedes-Benz of Charleston and conducted by the West Virginia Golf Association (WVGA), took place July 8 at Pipestem State Park.
After a 30-minute fog delay to start the day, Chris Daniels of Beckley was the day’s Medalist, shooting a four under par 68. “The two eagles got my head in a good place within my first nine holes of play today,” Daniels said.
Todd Harris of Culloden secured the final alternate spot with a chip-in birdie on the 17th hole to complete a three-hole playoff.
WVGA Tournament Manager Chance Hindbaugh said, “A 30-minute fog delay this morning didn’t stop the players from posting some great scores today!”
Over 400 golfers from West Virginia have registered to qualify for this year’s Amateur Championship at The Greenbrier. There were 59 players competing July 8 for 15 spots and two alternate positions in the Championship. The other qualifying players from today were:
- Tanner Vest of Shady Spring, (-2), 70;
- Nathaniel Begley of Oak Hill, (-2), 70;
- Blake Zambos of White Sulphur Springs, (-1) 71;
- Brett Laxton of Pineville, (+1) 73;
- Chandler Beavers of White Sulphur Springs, (+1) 73;
- Patrick Smith of Beckley, (+1) 73;
- Andrew Miller of Scott Depot, (+1) 73;
- Carson Proffitt of Camp Creek, (+1) 73;
- Jordan Duncan of Caldwell, (+2) 74;
- Josh Howell of Charlton Heights, (+2) 74;
- Jimmy Jones of Crab Orchard, (+2) 74;
- Alex Kagan of Lewisburg, (+3) 75;
- Bryson Beaver of Elkview, (+3) 75;
- Kameron Lucky of Summersville, (+3) 75;
- Alternate Berkley Adwell of Lewisburg, (+4) 76; and
- Alternate Todd Harris of Culloden, (+4) 76.
The remaining qualifying dates and locations are:
July 11th at Edgewood Country Club, Sissonville;
July 18th at Bridgeport Country Club, Bridgeport;
July 21st at Locust Hill Golf Course, Charles Town;
July 25th at Guyan Golf and Country Club, Huntington; and
July 27th “Last Chance Qualifier” at Greenhills Country Club, Ravenswood.
The Amateur Championship will take place July 31 – August 3 at The Greenbrier, which has hosted the event 95 of the past 102 years.
Click here for today’s leaderboard – 103rd WV Amateur Qualifier – Pipestem.