The first qualifier for the 104th WV Amateur Championship, presented by Astorg Motor Company and Mercedes-Benz of Charleston and conducted by the West Virginia Golf Association (WVGA), took place May 3 at The Pines Country Club in Morgantown. Clark Craig of Fairmont was the Medalist of the first qualifier with a one over par 72.
Other major presenters include United Bank and The Greenbrier.
Over 400 golfers from West Virginia have registered to qualify for this year’s Amateur Championship. There were 54 players competing May 3 for 16 spots and two alternates in the Championship. The other qualifying players from today were:
- Rigel Wilson of Webster Springs, (+2) 73;
- Campbell Koegler of Wheeling, (+3) 74;
- Gavin Goodrich of Wheeling, (+4) 75;
- Brian Bailey of Bridgeport, (+5) 76;
- Tyler Kondo of Morgantown, (+6) 77;
- John Kingora of Morgantown, (+6) 77;
- Joseph Ranieri of Fairmont, (+7) 78;
- Kyle Wensel of Wheeling, (+7) 78;
- Andy Michael of Huntington, (+8) 79;
- Chad Baldwin of Greenbank, (+8) 79;
- Buck Gower of Grafton, (+8) 79;
- Matt Saab of White Hall, (+9) 80;
- Justin Estep of Morgantown, (+9) 80;
- Chad Griffith of Morgantown, (+9) 80; and
- Joe Casalinuova of Fairmont, (+10) 81.
The alternates are Colby Dalton of Morgantown and Jason Vass of Bridgeport.
“This is the eighth year of our partnership with Astorg Auto and Mercedes-Benz for this Championship,” said WVGA Interim Executive Director Chris Slack. “We were excited to get qualifying underway here at The Pines Country Club and we look forward to the 104th playing of the West Virginia Amateur.”
“This was a testament to the fortitude of the players. They still played good golf in tough conditions,” said The Pines’ Head Golf Professional Russell Reid. “Mike Bogroff and his staff did a tremendous job of getting the course in spectacular shape, even with the weather. Mother Nature was not our friend, bring temperatures in the upper 30’s and low 40’s and light rain throughout the day.”
The remaining qualifying dates and locations are:
May 8 at Parkersburg Country Club;
May 10 at Edgewood Country Club, Sissonville;
May 15 at Glade Springs Resort (Cobb), Daniels;
May 17 at Locust Hill Golf Course, Charles Town;
May 22 at Guyan Golf and Country Club, Huntington; and
May 25 “Last Chance Qualifier” at Bel Meadow Golf Club, Mt. Clare.
The Amateur Championship will take place May 28-31 at The Greenbrier, which has hosted the event 96 of the past 103 years.