The weather may have been the big winner on the opening day of the 20th Annual WV Mid-Amateur Championship, hosted by the West Virginia Golf Association (WVGA) and sponsored by Pikewood Energy, challenging 47 players with cool temperatures and rain throughout the day.
Cam Roam of Huntington finished the first round of stroke play at Williams Golf and Country Club in Weirton with a one under par 71 thanks, in part, to five birdies. He was two strokes ahead of Jonathan Clark of Hurricane and Jared Taylor of Bluefield, tied for second at one over par 73.
“As the defending champion, Jess Ferrell did not have to compete in Strokeplay qualifying and was exempt into the #2 seed,” said WVGA Interim Executive Director Chris Slack.
Moving into Tuesday’s Round of 16 will be:
- Josh Arbaugh of Morgantown, 6 and 4 over Roam;
- Sam O’Dell of Hurricane, 5 and 3 over David Schwinler of Morgantown;
- Pat Carter 5 and 3 over Jason Grimmett, both of Hurricane;
- Philip Reale of Hurricane 4 and 3 over Chad Griffith of Morgantown;
- Jonathan Clark of Hurricane 7 and 6 over Jeff McGraw of Princeton;
- Bryan Myers of Wheeling 4 and 3 over Jay Davis of St. Clairsville, Ohio;
- Woody Woodward of Bridgeport 7 and 5 over Matt Walters of Berkeley Springs;
- Chase Wolfe of Charleston and Tad Tomblin of Alum Creek tied through 19;
- Buck Gower of Grafton 1 up over Jess Ferrell of Fairmont;
- Trenton Roush of Point Pleasant 1 up over Chris Bohach of Ona;
- Davey Jude of Kermit 4 and 3 over Chad Baldwin of Greenbank;
- Hunter O’Neal of Bluefield, Va. 5 and 3 over John Bumgarner of Hurricane;
- Jeremy Vallet of Logan 5 and 4 over Jared Taylor of Bluefield;
- Cory Hoshor of Scott Depot 3 and 1 over Ryan Crabtree of Falling Waters;
- Christian Brand of Scott Depot 6 and 4 over Joseph Ranieri of Fairmont; and
- Brian Anania of Scott Depot 6 and 5 over Michael Rogers of Follansbee.
The Round of 16 will take place Tuesday. To see today’s leaderboard, click here.
For more information please visit wvga.org.