The fifth qualifier for the 103rd WV Amateur Championship, presented by Astorg Motor Company and Mercedes-Benz of Charleston and conducted by the West Virginia Golf Association (WVGA), took place July 21 at Locust Hill Golf Course in Charles Town.
Christopher Neighbors of Charles Town led the field of seven qualifiers with eight birdies to score a five under par 67.
“We’re always enjoy hosting a West Virginia Amateur Championship qualifier each year, especially since the course was firm and fast today,” said Locust Hill’s PGA Golf Professional Wayne Clark. “We’re seeing greater participation from our local golfers and the First Tee kids.”
Over 400 golfers from West Virginia have registered to qualify for this year’s Amateur Championship at The Greenbrier. There were 25 players competing for seven qualifying and two alternate spots in the Championship. The other qualifying players from Thursday were:
- Corey Jackson of Martinsburg, (+1) 73;
- Steve Eckert of Falling Waters, (+1) 73;
- Van Stemple of Shepherdstown, (+2) 74;
- Drew Call of Charleston, (+3) 75;
- Ethan Hardy of Charles Town, (+3) 75;
- Jeremy Thompson of Martinsburg, (+3) 75;
- Alternate Tommy Evans of Charles Town, (+4) 76; and
- Alternaate Matt Walters, Berkeley Springs, (+6) 78.
The remaining qualifying dates and locations are:
July 25th at Guyan Golf and Country Club, Huntington; and
July 27th “Last Chance Qualifier” at Greenhills Country Club, Ravenswood.
The Amateur Championship will take place July 31 – August 3 at The Greenbrier, which has hosted the event 95 of the past 102 years.
Click here for today’s leaderboard – 103rd WV Amateur Qualifier – Locust Hill.